Friday, 6 January 2012

The Challenge of New Year's Resolutions

Today I was wondering what was so difficult about keeping new year's resolutions. I'm having a little trouble in getting acclimatised to my resolution of mastering and paying attention to my knitting technique (I'm more of a go-with-the-flow, process knitter usually) and trying more intricate knits. I was feeling a little low about it as it has been a little difficult to work at this resolution at night after my little boys have gone to bed (which is my knitting time)....And then it hit me, new year's resolutions is not just about changing habits which in themselves are very difficult (another whole topic altogether!), rather it is also about creating or freeing up the space in your brain to do that. Space in the brain is a rare commodity these days for me as a working mum of two under five, who is also trying to set up her business. I think it is the same for every parent I've ever met!

Of course, the fact that I came to this realisation while making a chocoloate mousse to take to a friend's place for dinner tonight, and simultaneously mentally designing my son's birthday invitations, and thinking about my first day of work at my new job and aligning my mental knitting queue makes it all quite ironic! No wonder the mastery of knitting techniques has to fight hard for space in there!

Now to move on to the pressing matters at hand.....designing and getting out those invitations! Those other thoughts and to-do lists will just have to wait.....


No comments:

Post a Comment