Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Clouds of Misery Interspersed with Bursts of Sunshine

With the temperature soaring and a summer cold well-entrenched, I'm finding it a bit hard to sit down to write this blog! This summer cold is in the early but persistent stages where you've already gone through the stage of hoping that this is just a bit of sleep deprivation, past the point of "this is just hay fever" and coming to the realisation that this cold is here to stay. The blurry fog is settling in as we speak! And the constant companionship of a tissue box is something I am now resigned to.

Instead of dwelling on such miserable thoughts, I thought I'd share one of my great knitting joys of these past couple of days. When I went down south during the Christmas break, I went with my mother-in-law to visit a wonderful, inspiring yarn shop in Margaret River, Western Australia. The Margaret River Wool Company is run by Justine, who is exactly what you want a yarn shop owner to be...friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and passionate about yarn! I was asking her about which cotton yarns she particularly liked and she suggested that I try the Rowan Belle Organic DK range. It is a lovely mix of 50% organic cotton/50% organic wool.

Given I was and still am (*sigh*) on a yarn diet, this was a bit of indulgence and only bought 2 balls in the Tomato shade (a lovely dark pink), enough for a little scarf.


I've completed about two thirds of this scarf and while I can only show a little bit of it in progress - I have to tell you that is has been a really beautiful yarn to work with...very soft to handle, a little splitty but nothing annoying and the colour just makes me happy every time I look at it. I'm sure it will be wonderful to wear! The other side has been blocked and this little scarf will be up in a little while under the patterns on the new A Passionate Yarn website. A good short summertime/autumn scarf project.

No comments:

Post a Comment