Thursday, 1 March 2012

Garden of Flowers - French Style

I've just released a new scarf for sale on Ravelry called the Claudine Scarf. This scarf has been a while in the making and has a story attached to it.

In September last year, I decided to take a bit of a career break to decide what I really wanted to do for the rest of my working life. As part of this break, I was very lucky to be able to accompany my mum back to France to see my grandmother for her 96th birthday. It had been ten years since the last time I visited and so many things had changed both in my life (a husband, children!) and hers.

While my grandmother is doing well for a 96 year old, she is no longer able to stay at home in her village. She is now in a nursing home in a wheel chair, also suffering from dementia. This was a real shock given she had always been a very active, outdoorsy person. However, it was wonderful to be able to still spend time with her and be able to share her memories.

As she was always such an avid knitter (many socks, slippers, etc) and she always maintained such a beautiful flower garden, I wanted to include this in some way into a tribute scarf for her. (While the Claudine Beanie was released beforehand, this is the original design from which it was developed).



No comments:

Post a Comment