Thursday, 26 April 2012

Distracted...

This morning was chaos again in the house...my eldest son is back at school after the Easter holidays and it was back into the swing of being very organised. Don't get me wrong, I'm normally pretty organised when I go to work but somehow you need a lot more organisational capability to get one little boy to school - lunches, school uniform, getting little brother ready too! All went well and my youngest and I finally got to the rather mundane tasks of bank, food shopping and visiting the post office.

It is with this backdrop in mind that I was pretty keen today to get some action shots taken for my Train Lover's vest pattern which is currently being tested. However, foiled again as it was a glorious 31 degrees celsius outside, much too hot for a 12 ply wool vest! So I thought I'd get a few simple shots of the vest and the matching beanie together (done just after taking the soup off the stove, and just before waking up my youngest to pick up the eldest at school). Well, I noticed this evening that I took a wonderful picture of the back of the beanie and in such a terrible position that you couldn't see anything at all. So it will have to be for another night. I'm also doing up a last little vest for my niece for her second birthday so hopefully that will also all be finished by the next post.

In the meantime, I can tell you a bit about the upcoming Steampunk Journey to the Centre of Perth this Saturday, which my brother-in-law and his wife are helping to organise. It's a steampunk ball being held in Yanchep in the Cabaret Cave, about an hour from Perth and is themed around the Jules Verne adventure. Steampunk is a fashion, music, artistic movement which is inspired by the Victorian and turn of the century era and their views of technology and the future. If you're looking for something a bit different and keen to dress up, it might be worth checking out either this event or the next mid-winter ball.

For knitters, it is worth googling "steampunk knitting patterns" - you get a really interesting array of knitted corsets, lace shawls, fingerless long opera gloves, spats for shoes, etc. It has everything you've secretly ever wanted to wear from those period novels / tv shows - done up with a slightly racier and futuristic flair. It is a fascinating look at some of the wonderful things that can be made within the knitted arts. A number of those patterns are truly eye-candy to the knitter (look up "The Sanguine Gryphon" and the "Industrial Revolution Shawl" on Ravelry and you'll see what I mean)!

Next time, hopefully action shots of the vest and beanie and ideas. Also stay tuned for a special offer on the A Passionate Yarn patterns coming out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment