Monday, 16 July 2012

Wingspan for Jodie

Yesterday was my last day on my own before the arrival of the boys. It was meant to be a day of work and then a relaxing evening knit. Well, this monster of a cold had other ideas so I spend another day on the sofa.....and this is no longer really a treat. Today I am determined to do other things even this means going out and about under par.

Having said that, I got through a fair bit of knitting. I am now almost half way through Jodie's Wingspan and it is looking really good. If you compared the picture below with the Wingspan over Oceans I made for my sister-in-law, you wouldn't really think it is the same pattern. All due to the properties of the different yarns! For this Wingspan, I am using a yarn I am not really familiar with called Katia Darling, which is a sock yarn of mostly superwash merino and a smidge of nylon. It has an amazing colour gradient going from dark grey/blue through to turquoise, white and green. Originally I had intended this to be a rainbow coloured shawl but couldn't quite find the yarn I wanted. This one still looks stunning and will be a bit softer as it has a slight fuzz factor.


It is still a really addictive pattern but I think I have now got it out of my system for the time being. I'm sure I'll come back to it!

The other big thing I did was to launch myself into knitting socks for myself using the magic loop method. I was a little hesitant as there is so much other knitting to do and I wasn't feeling up for learning something new but this was the time to try it with the boys are away and the household duties can be kept to a minimum! I've read so many people sing the praises of sock knitting that I've had to give it a go to see whether it has the same effect on me.


So, I am knitting the Plain Vanilla Socks by Keri McKiernan with the Happy sock yarn by Wendy, which is 75% bamboo and 25% nylon. It is an interesting yarn - the high bamboo content makes it very shiny and soft but a little splitty unlike its wool sock yarn counterparts. This is likely to be a project I have with me for some time as it will be my in-between projects project, a last priority knit. I don't think this will be my finest attempt at socks but hopefully they will fit and I'll have the courage to do two of them!



No comments:

Post a Comment