Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Wingspan Ocean-Style

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been struggling a bit with knitterly inspiration. I've been repeatedly diving through my stash trying to find some yarn that "spoke to me" and trawling the Ravelry and knitting pattern books to see if a project lit a lightbulb within me.

On Sunday, I was just thinking that I really wanted to make something for my sister-in-law who has been having a really tough time after the birth of MJ. I wanted to make an easygoing shawlette (something that can have baby vomit all over it) and something with really beautiful colours. Looking through my stash, only one skein stood out for that purpose....the mixed ocean blue of the hand-dyed cotton from Jalbrook Alpaca Knitwear Gallery, which is part of Jalbrook Cottages and Alpacas in Balingup, Western Australia.

I also found in an instant the perfect pattern, Wingspan by maylin Tri'Coterie Designs, which is a beautifully easy garter stitch short-row pattern that I think will work well with this cotton. It is very addictive and just the perfect, very gratifying project to get over my knitting hump. It feels like summer knitting this shawlette - a really inspiring way to get over the rainy, cold weather we are having. I'm hoping it will also provide a bit of sea and sunshine for its recipient!




No comments:

Post a Comment