Saturday, 22 September 2012

Holiday Projects - What to Pack

This is my last post before I'm on the move (for both work and holiday) over the next three weeks. So exciting, the family will be meeting up with me in Melbourne at the end of the week and it will be our first holiday interstate since the boys were born.

This is the frantic last day when I'm trying to organise what I need to get packed for going to Sydney, Bendigo and Melbourne. It is turning out a little more complicated than expected with the need to go from the very cold weather clothes to quite warm!

Another source of real panicking was that I hadn't decided yet what knitting to take with me and worst of all, what projects to start. I know this should never be an issue given I have always much more I would like to make than I have time to make it! However, a holiday knit has to meet specific criteria for me:
  1. Has to be really quite easy to knit when tired or distracted (jet lag, late nights, etc)
  2. Has to utilise very appealing yarn to create a special holiday feel.
  3. Has to include some bright colours.
  4. Should include some points of interest (easy lace, a new texture, etc)
  5. Should be a small single skein, transportable project.  
Starting with the skeins, here are the four I'll be taking with me (for three weeks away - that doesn't seem to excessive does it?):

So having looked through many different sources of inspiration for my first project, I have settled on a little scarf called "Unleaving" by Lee Juvan in the First Fall 2012 issue of Knitty using the very special "Queen of Hearts" fingering weight sparkle from Candy Apple Lane (75% Superwash merino, 20% nylon, 5% stelling - gold toned). This scarf is all done in garter stitch with a beautiful lace border - just the right mixture of ease and interest! This photo doesn't quite do it justice - it is photographed on top of the suitcase that needs to be fully packed by tonight! I think I might use this  pattern too for the beautiful pastel random-dyed cotton from Jalbrook Alpaca.


Of the other two skeins, the brown and white is a Drifter 10ply by Naturally and that is destined to be a slightly modified Nightcap Beanie for a friend. The last is a remaining half ball of Honeydew colour 8ply Bendigo Woollen Mills cotton for another little Keira's cardigan.

I hope I will still get to post while I'm away - it may be a little more random in terms of timing! Just letting you know - from the 24 September to 12 October 2012, you will still be able to put in your orders in the knitwear store as per usual and they will be posted to you as soon as I get back. No delivery of orders from the knitwear store will be made while I'm away.


Sales from the knitting pattern store will continue as normal as the patterns are automatically downloadable upon purchase.

I look forward to sharing all sorts of exciting new products, stories and competitions when I get back in mid-October. I'll be loaded up with new yarn, new knits and new ideas!

In the meantime, I leave you with a few more spring blooms from our garden.









No comments:

Post a Comment