Sunday, 11 August 2013

Elephant Walk Blues

As I sit at this computer to write my weekly entry, I am in the depth of the self-miseries....a condition brought on by the adult version of hand, foot and mouth caught off my gorgeous sons. It reminds me very much of having chicken pox as a kid with the added bonus of pins and needles in the hands and feet. Therefore it is home in quarantine for me until I'm no longer contagious which I am hoping is very soon.

In the meantime, I have been amusing myself with knitting of course. It has the great advantage of keeping my hands busy (distraction from the itchiness) and can be done in one spot (avoiding the need to walk around on sore feet). An additional bonus is the cheery note provided by the colour I have chosen, "Elephant Walk" on BWM Luxury 10ply by Candy Apple Lane. I am finally getting to the Milo vest for Little B, who has been patiently asking me every day when his would be ready. 


 Yesterday morning Little B was asking me if there were any birds that had that combination of colours on them. I hazarded a guess at a Rosella, to which he looked at me in disbelief, pointing out that they also have yellow and therefore are nothing like that at all. To distract him, I mentioned to him this yarn was called "Elephant Walk"  and when asked why, made up a story about a gray elephant walking through fields and water. "What about the red?", asked my bright little one, willing to entertain the idea. "Mushed strawberry fields" was my answer, to which he gave me a curious look and burst out laughing. Crisis averted - the colour choice seems to have now got his approval. Phew, that was close!

As I am not very good at knitting monogamy and I cannot continue knitting baby clothes until I am over my contagious period, I am starting a little something for myself with this gorgeous wool below. It is Schoppel Wolle Lace 2ply bought while in Melbourne last year. I have decided to make a Ruched Wrap (by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas). It is simple but should make this beautiful variegation sing. This may take a long time so perhaps it is a December finish for this one. The aim is to wear this with my little black dress.

Hope to catch you all soon in a less spotty, more human format. Until then, happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment